Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Sticks and Stones...AND Soccer Balls

Saturday was our 3rd time in the ER this year. Don't gasp yet. It was 6 times two years ago. I'm fairly optimistic so it's lookin' up. It's alright; I've got some wild, fearless boys so I'm all good with it.

A simple tumble over the soccer ball on Saturday resulted in a fracture for poor Fun Time Charlie. The doctor did not see anything on the x-ray and sent us home with some standard advice: pain meds and ice.

However, we moms... we know.

As Charlie cried throughout the night and whimpered in agony each time he moved, I kept thinking, "there has to be something wrong." I know you know what I'm talking about.

And well, Moms, as usual our gut tells us the truth. The doctor called on Sunday and informed us that the radiologist had a peak at the x-rays and indeed there was a fracture...



I was sad for him, but relieved that we knew there was something causing his acute pain.

So off we went to the ER on Sunday to get a splint. The kid had gone 24 hours without any pain meds (his refusal...gag reflex). He even managed to snooze on the way to the hospital...











To top it off, today was the big day...the real cast. He was super brave and had the doctor and nurses cracking up. He's just that kind of kid. He rocks...



And in typical Fun Time Charlie mode, the kid has not stopped to complain once. He's still out there running, riding, and giving me a heart attack. I'm afraid that he's going to end up in a full body cast.

We may just end up in the ER for the 4th time this year. But, hey... that's not too bad compared to previous years. Maybe the ER staff will actually take the joking seriously and reserve a room just for us.

1 comment:

Kellee the Caffeinated said...

Katie, I shall hand over my reserved room for your family! I have been a patient at Fallbrook's ER about 90 billion times... So now that I am in Murrieta, I'll pass it along to you guys!

I am so glad that Charlie was such a great patient! What a super stud!

~Kellee