Monday, September 13, 2010

What I Want to Remember

I’ve been encouraged by a friend’s blog (lillyandthebrothers.blogspot.com) to take a moment during the week and focus on something to remember. These little people grow quickly and I want to truly remember. I don’t just want to remember the big moments, but I want to clearly picture the “stuff” that makes my kids who they are on a daily basis. Today was one of those days. It wasn’t a perfect day by any means. In fact, it was typical. And by typical, I mean HARD. Sorry, no fluff here; I’m just being honest.

For Luke, today was like climbing a mountain. The 1st day of school for a kid with Asperger’s is not easy. Although I have sensed the increasing anxiety about a new teacher, a new classroom, and a different set of classmates, he handled himself like a champ. He amazes me. I can’t imagine his world and to navigate it so bravely at 7 is beyond me.



I just imagine it like being thrown out of an airplane and landing on an island where I don’t understand anything. And despite his trepidation, annoying new sock sensitivity, and fear of the loud lunch room that “sounds worse than 5 fire alarms” for a boy with extra sensitive hearing, he did it. I’m proud of him. He teaches me everyday. Not that I don’t get frustrated…because I do. But, my love and admiration for him is endless.

And to top it off, I watched him walk into his new classroom, greet a few buddies, and sit confidently in his new second grade seat. When I anxiously picked him up he had a lot to say about playing with his friends and not a single word to say about the annoying new socks or loud lunchroom. Yippee!

For Fun-time Charlie, I just want to remember him in these…



The kid thinks he is so cool. He cracks us up and doesn’t think twice about what other people think. He’s is own man. He’s been cruising in these Target dollar bin glasses all day. Inside or outside…it doesn’t matter. I can’t take him seriously, but let me reassure you, he’s all about business with these suckers on.

Then there’s Jack…



Looks like an angel, right? Don't be fooled people. What a day for Jack Jack. He’s TWO. He’s the hardest one so far. He screams. He kicks. He hits. He says, "You bad guy, Mama!" I’m exhausted. I carried his whole 40-pound self from the soccer field to the car with him wailing this afternoon. Once we were in the car he told me in an angry tone, “I ARE a good boy, Mama!” Oh his grammar is terrible, but I want to remember that too. Then after putting him to bed several times, it was quiet enough for me to go in and finally tell him that he’s was being a good boy for staying in his bed. Except the kid was in his closet playing with cars! Oh, Jack Jack. I know it is just a phase, but you’re killing me!

So there it is. The good, the bad, and the ugly. Mostly good. Some bad. A little ugly. But, that’s how we roll.

4 comments:

Tina K. said...

It's hard to imagine the little things you want to remember, because you really do want to remember every waking minute with them. But I love making Maddie laugh. A real "that was funny and you made me laugh" laugh. And how high pitched the squeal is that goes with it. It makes me feel like I'm doing my job as a mother, not feeding her, changing her diaper or teaching her the color red or the shape square, but teaching her laughter. I can't wait to go home tonight and make her laugh. (And I'll try to remember it when she wakes up crying at 5am since she's stuffy and has a cold.)

Jenn Costillo said...

Love this post, Katie! You are a good Mom :-)

Heather @ Life Made Lovely said...

you so right! it's so important to remember the struggle days along with the east peasy ones.
this is a great post!!

Greta said...

Love this! And that Jack. maybe he and Lilly should meet up and marry one day. It sounds like they deserve each other.
Great post, Katie.
And thanks for the shout out. :)
Love form,
Greta