Sunday, March 3, 2013

when the fuel is low

There are just times when you have nothing but glimpses of happy to hang on to when the circumstances get to be too much.

Parenting has a way of knocking the wind out of you.

The exhaustion can be too much at times. It does not just take down one, it takes us all down.

It is not forever, but it sure can feel like it.

However, the wind returns. Our lungs expand again. We exhale.

Though trials of tantrums, autism spectrum disorder, and boys that seem to argue more than they get along make me feel like I want to shut down, I stand firm. I refuse to shut down. I am not a shut down kind of girl.

Instead, I fuel myself with what I can. It may not be much, but I absorb it and let it carry me through the rough patches of this parenting journey.

Behold my fuel.

80 degree weather and a make-do pool complete with a diving board...


Painting in swim trunks...


Shadows...

A love bug girl just trying to make sense of it all...

A boy who could teach his mama a thing or two about kicking back.

Random Legos on my counter. I will miss these one day...

Wishing you a week full of fuel, friends.

Much love,
Katie


9 comments:

Joy said...

Thinking of you sweet friend. These days will pass, but that certainly does not make them any easier in the present. You sure do throw a fun pool party. :)

Flor said...

oh katie, i completely understand.. this parenting job is hard and so rewarding at the same time. i'm fighting exhaustion as well.. and well, you know.. when mama is tired then it all goes downhill :(

hope things get better. i'll be praying and thinking of you. hang in there!

susan jakovina said...

I am SO with you my friend.
Can I just say, I think it would be easier for me if the weather was as warm as it is where you are? I just want to get outside!!!
Looks so pretty up where the pool is.

likeschocolate said...

Poor dog! Poor you! Hang I'm there! Been there, so I feel for you!

Kelly said...

girl i hear ya. pray you get some fuel this week...or starbucks maybe?
xxO

Kacey said...

Praying for fuel for you & the fam. Appreciating those small moments and victories help!

The Olive Tree Blog said...

great post today! and yes there are some days when I feel like I have nothing left to give.

love the diy diving board!!

Michelle Elkins AKA Mickey said...

FUEL! mom FUEL! Totally need it ALL THE TIME. And I swear God knows we do too! And I am super jealous of your weather!

Lynn said...

Sweet. It looks like you are one terrific mama. Hang in there!