Thursday, October 14, 2010

Dissed

I've been dissed.

By a 7 year old.

Not just any 7 year old, but by my own kid. Ouch.

For the last 7, almost 8 years, I have shared a bedtime ritual with him.

As of tonight, that was a thing of the past...sniff, sniff.

Like I said, I've been dissed.

When I went up to rest with him like I always have, he blocked MY spot.

Surprised and thinking that he was joking, I said, "Scoot over, Buddy."

He didn't budge...sniff, sniff.

And then the worst part...the rejection. Let me set up the scene:

Luke: "Mom, Tyler's mom (best buddy)doesn't rest with him."

Me: "How do you know?"

Luke: "I don't know. But, no other kids my age have their moms rest with them at bedtime. I am too old now."

Sound of heartbreak in the background...

Me: "Okay, Buddy. Goodnight. I love you."

I slowly shuffled myself downstairs trying to make sense of what just happened.

Wow. Growing up happens fast.

4 comments:

AMedina said...

Oh, honey- that's gotta hurt! Fortunately for me, I'm getting nothing but love from my boys. It must be because I am going out of town for a few days and they are being extra sweet.
Although they did back-handed insult me recently. Joaquin asked if they used chalkboards when I was in school, you know, like in the old timey days. Yes, son, back when everything was in black and white, no color.

Katie @ minivan diva said...

Andrea,
I love that! Luke has asked me about chalkboards too. Yes, we grew up in the middle ages didn't we?

Four Flights said...

oh that made me a little teary :( My 3 year old won't let me lay down with him at nap time now, but we at least still get bed time :)

Michelle Blair said...

So sad!!! I always try to remind myself that the constantly wanting to be with mommy will someday end :( Sorry it's happening to you already.....heartbreaking.
Great writing as usual Katie!