Saturday, March 19, 2011

venturing outside of the box

Confession #1: I've never made homemade muffins before.

Confession #2: I've always been a box kind of a girl.

When I made simple boxed muffins last week, I thought to myself, "Lady, you can do better than this!"

So I did.

And so should you. Go for it. They are way easy and beyond better in taste. Your family will thank you.

Here you go:

Batter Ingredients:
1 1/2 c. all purpose flour
3/4 c. white sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1/3 c. vegetable oil
1 egg
1/3 c. milk
1 c. fresh blueberries

Crumb Ingredients:
1/2 c. white sugar
1/3 c. all purpose flour
1/4 c. butter, cubed
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease muffin cups or line with muffin liners.
2. Combine 1 1/2 c. flour, 3/4 c. sugar, salt, and baking powder. Place vegetable oil into 1 c. measuring cup; add the egg and enough milk to fill the cup. Mix this with the flour mixture. Fold in blueberries. Fill muffin cups right to the top, and sprinkle
with crumb topping mixture.





3. To make crumb topping: Mix together 1/2 c. sugar, 1/3 c. flour, 1/4 cup (soft) cubed butter , and 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon. Mix with fork and sprinkle over muffins before baking.





4. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven or until done.





Enjoy! And trust me, you'll never go back to the box again!

Much love,
Katie

P.S. I'll be posting over at Heather's Life Made Lovely Monday over here.

9 comments:

April said...

oh my thank you...I need these with coffee tomorrow!!!
yumm
april

Brooke said...

If it makes you feel better, I am total guilty of #1 AND #2. But you have inspired me to think outside of the box.... ha! I know, my humor is so lame :D Thanks.

Brooke said...

I just noticed your new "do!" I didn't even recognize you when I saw you pop up in my comments :D So FAB-U-LOUS. You are rockin' it Girl!

missmehoneybee said...

Those look yum! LOVE your hair! Good for you for being so brave. So cute.

Katie @ minivan diva said...

Thanks for the hair compliments, Girls! : )

Jenny Plumb said...

I haven't either. Really? That's it? Well, I might just have to try that.

Nancy said...

Oh my. I am so making this. Delish. And, let's talk about your new do... LOVE IT! Way to go. So, so cute. :)

Heather @ Life Made Lovely said...

those look delish! i'm a total box muffin maker, and you're right. i can do better, too. thanks for the recipe.

Courtney said...

Thanks for this recipe! I always make homemade muffins for my boys and this one looks super yummy! I added some banana and substituted sugar with Stevia....but they came out super yummy! You rock Kate!!!