Thursday, May 27, 2010

Melanoma

How often do you “forget” how to drive? How often do you simply “forget” to breathe? Probably never because you know it would result in something tragic, right?

I wonder why we simply "forget" to wear our sunscreen. I do it too. Guilty! Did you know that melanoma is the number one cause of death from cancer in young adults? Did you know that it only takes one bad sunburn to put yourself at risk? Did you know that melanoma is typically either a good cancer (stage 1) or a REALLY bad cancer? There’s not a whole lot in between. It is aggressive and reappears frequently. Since most people don’t catch it early, the results can be devastating.

Not only do we need to focus on ourselves to stay healthy for our kiddos, we need to keep our munchkins protected from the sun. We buckle them in their car seats and don’t ever leave them unattended in the bath. Likewise, we need to protect them and their futures by lathering them in sunscreen everyday. I'm guilty again! And I of all people should know better, right?

Lastly, please remember these two facts: Sunscreen should be worn year round and you are no more protected from developing melanoma if you have light or dark skin. Everyone needs to lather up!

Okay, enough of my lecture! Now I’ll move on to my scare tactic (and you thought I was done!). I’m posting my blog which details my husband’s battle with melanoma and two websites, which detail important facts about this disease.

http://minivandiva.blogspot.com/2010/04/my-family-curse.html

http://www.charlie.org/melanoma_facts.html


http://www.besunsensible.org


Happy spring and soon to be summer, my friends. Enjoy the warm weather and be safe!

Lots of love,
Katie

P.S. If you have not had your skin checked, now is the time to do it! Don’t wait…just do it!!! I’m not kidding, pick up the phone and make your appointment. I’ll stop now…I think you get my point.

P.S.S. Pass this along to those you love.

1 comment:

Leah said...

i am at high risk for skin cancer now because of my medications. is slow tanning bad too, or is it just sunburns? i was thinking of trying to get tan before my sister's wedding, but am scared. maybe i should do a spray on instead...