Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Welcome to the Real Life

I just got home from a relaxing weekend in Palm Desert with 3 amazing gal pals. We had the BEST time sitting by the pool, reading mindless mags and sharing our survival stories from the war zone, otherwise known as home. We also shared funny stories about our kiddos and delighted in the silliness of our children and the way in which they brighten our lives. It is refreshing to share the good and the bad with friends whom you know won’t judge you for your mommy shortcomings. Those types of friends are invaluable. We all need them.



And although girl time is a complete reprieve and filled with belly aching laughter, there always comes a time when I’m hit with homesickness. This time was no different. What can I say? I’m a wimp. I talk BIG about escaping from my kids, but I am a total sucker when it comes to being apart from them.

Last night, Kevin sent me a text with pics of the boys at bedtime. They were snug in their beds. And then it hit me. I missed them. I missed the hugs and kisses goodnight. I missed reading stories and chatting about what we were going to do the next day. Of course, I didn’t think about the battle to brush their teeth or the energy it takes to just get my rambunctious boys to the calm, sleepy state. It’s funny how we block those things out, isn’t it?

As we headed home today, I had mixed feelings. On one hand I was sad to leave the serenity of the hotel, but on the other hand I could not wait to get home. However, within a few minutes of being home, I desperately wanted to jump in my car and drive back to Palm Springs. You see, real life doesn’t change at my house just because I get away for a night. I came home to Charlie screaming over Jack crashing his fort, dirty dishes, and beds to be made. My mantra kicked in, "Serenity now! Serenity now!"



But, that’s my life. And it’s a good one.

No comments: