Wednesday, June 8, 2011

melanoma...3 years later

It has been 3 years.

3 years since my husband of almost 12 years walked in the door and cried as he told me had stage 3 melanoma.

My heart sunk as I tried to absorb the shock.

You can read more about our experience here and here.

As we approach the 3 year anniversary of his diagnosis, I am reminded of a few things.

1. Live each day like it is your last.
2. Make decisions that add to the lives of others.
3. Determine what is big. Determine what is little. Most of it is little.
4. Always being right isn't as important as being humble and forgiving.
5. Don't beat yourself up over everything; especially for eating that last bite of ice cream cake.
6. Remember that someone, somewhere is going through something much worse than you.
7. Say, "I love you" like it's nobody's business.
8. Get your skin checked once a year.
9. Stay out of the sun from peak hours: 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
10. Wear your sunscreen daily. No suntan or burn is worth melanoma.

Much love,
Katie

P.S. Please come on over on Sunday and link up to "It's a God thing".

15 comments:

Karrie said...

WOWOWOWOW!! After reading all of the links you added to this post, I feel like I met a completely different person! You are a tough one young lady and your motto is similar to mine! (Someone always has it worse)
May God's peace always be with you!

Alyss said...

Gosh I love you and your perspective on life Katie! I'm so sorry that something that BIG had to happen to your family, but it looks like you have allowed God to teach you through it.

Greta said...

Thank you Katie.
#7 to you, my friend.
Love from,
Greta

Michelle Elkins AKA Mickey said...

I didn't know about all of this. Thank you for sharing.

Moments and Impressions said...

Love this list... and reading all the links and getting to know you better. You are so positive all the time - what a testament you are.

Laurie J said...

thanks for this, Katie. 1 1/2 years ago my lil sis (only 23) was diagnosed with malignant melanoma. we couldnt believe it. we spent christmas day as a fam not knowing the results of a test showing if the cancer had spread or not.....just enjoying each other and crying out to God to handle the answer. thankfully it was all removed. your list is great. so true.
<3

Courtney said...

Thanks Katie!!! You are so right in that life should be simple and that we need to rid ourselves of the little dramas that don't truly matter in the end! Love you friend!!!

Rach (DonutsMama) said...

Wow. That really puts things in perspective. We need to let the little stuff go and really love those we have in our lives.

Charla Liedahl said...

Your family has certainly been through some rough times...and God has proven Himself faithful to sustain you! Amen to good health!

Momma of The B.M.C. Report said...

I have chills reading this! Praise the Lord for HIS faithfulness!

grey rose (they/them) said...

thanks for sharing this today, katie! it is always beautiful to recount the goodness of the lord in our suffering. i love you-thanks for always being such a great example!

xo

Christi said...

you have such a great perspective on life. thank you for sharing it with me.

Nancy said...

wow. your life's reminders are so true and your journey made them really come to life. thanks for #3. need to remember that daily. xoxo

Heart n Soul said...

Gosh...every moment is to be captured, cherished and celebrated. Thanks for reminding us. Appreciated you popping by my 'inspire me' project. Please feel free to link up a word of encouragement or an insightful post. Old or new it's up to you :)....will come back Sunday to check out your 'God thing'. Have a great weekend - cherish every moment.

Anonymous said...

I just posted something about indoor tanning in march (i think) on my blog, My stepmom had stage 2 melanoma when she was 22... and was just having a discussion about tanning with my sisters-in-law who are 19 and 20 and are tanning every day. People just don't even realize how bad that is for you or how bad skin cancer can be. :( How is your husband now? Thanks for stopping by my blog today!!